FooGallery and FooBox use Freemius under the hood to handle all plugin licensing and payments. We decided to make this move in 2017, so that we could concentrate on the core plugins rather than worrying about payments, updates, etc.
Freemius is a great solution and it has really helped us with our business.
Having said that, there are sometimes edge-cases where Freemius gets into a state that causes php warnings and sometimes even fatal PHP errors which can cause your website to crash.
An error we have seen a few times before:
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: __clone method called on non-object in /wp-content/
My Site Has Crashed - Help!!
Your first priority is to get your site back up and running. Sometimes you cannot do this via your wp-admin because of the fatal error, so you need to manually deactivate the plugin. The easiest way to do this is by renaming the plugin folder name using an FTP client, to force the deactivation of the plugin. If you do not know about FTP, then use the File Manager from your host's control panel.
Add an underscore to the end of the plugin folder name. For example, if the plugin's folder name is
awesome-plugin, rename it to
Obviously, you still want to try the plugin and see how it works. Luckily, there is a way to recover and still use the plugin without running into the same isses again.
Do not activate the plugin again, but rather follow these steps:
- Visit https://github.com/Freemius/freemius-fixer and download the latest version of the Freemius Fixer zip : https://github.com/Freemius/freemius-fixer/archive/master.zip
- Upload and activate the Freemius Fixer on your website.
- You will see the following screen:
- Click the Download Data button and you will download a txt file of the Freemius state.
- Click Fix.
- You can then activate the original plugin again without any issues.
- Please open a support ticket with us and include the following info:
- The original error you had that was crashing your site.
- attach the txt file you downloaded from step 4 above
- We will then send this info to Freemius so that they can correct this behaviour from happening for other users in the future